The performance of an automobile will depend on the fuel you choose, so it is necessary to select the right fuel for your vehicle. Some vehicle owners use the E85 fuel, also called flex fuel. In this article, you will learn whether can you mix E85 with regular gas, which is a frequent question among most automobile owners.
If your car has a yellow cap, it indicates the possibility of using E85. You will find the yellow ring in a vehicle that doesn’t have a cap. Since the manufacturers designed this fuel to use on a flex-fuel vehicle, many people often confuse about whether you can mix E85 with regular gas. If you are also searching about mixing E85 with regular gas, then you are in the right place as this article will help you gain the necessary information.
If your engine performance is not as expected, then one of the causes for this is the type of fuel you are using, so by changing a high-quality fuel, you will be able to sort out the issue. The best fuel for a fuel-flex vehicle is E85 which will make the vehicle perform efficiently.
Due to the scarcity of this fuel, some people try to mix it with regular gas, but before blending it, it is better to know if can you mix E85 with regular gas. Continue reading the article to know in detail about E85 and whether it is safe to blend it with regular gas.
What Is E85/ Flex-Fuel
By blending 51% to 83% ethanol with gasoline, the manufacturers produce E85. The ethanol percentage may vary according to the location of your residence since in places with high humidity, they tend to add more ethanol when manufacturing E85. Most sources also mention that the E85 will contain 85% ethanol while the remaining 15% will be gasoline.
If you are using a fuel flex vehicle, you might use the E85 to fuel up the engine. Many people use this fuel because the cost per gallon is low, so you can purchase this for a cheaper cost than gasoline. In contrast, you must also know that the mileage will be low, so you will have to frequently refill the fuel, which may increase the overall expense.
In the Midwest of the US, you can easily find E85 available on the market, whereas, in many other regions, the availability is less. Due to the scarcity, many users try to blend it with regular gas. The ethanol used to make E85 is commonly made from corn. Some countries use alternative crops like sugarcane to produce ethanol.
The E85 fuel will sufficiently power the engine of your flex-fuel vehicles and clean the fuel injectors, fuel line and engine. If you think about whether you can use E85 in non-fuel-flex vehicles, then yes, you can, but it is not recommended as continuous usage may lead to fuel corrosion in the fuel system. In the next section of the article, let’s look at what will happen when your mix E85 with regular gas.
Can You Mix E85 With Regular Gas
If you own a vehicle, you must ensure the maintenance, including using the right fuel. So, the best fuel for the fuel-flex vehicles is E85, but sometimes, you might try to blend it with regular gas due to scarcity. Hence, can you mix E85 with regular gas? Yes, you can mix the E85 fuel with regular gas, but it is important to know that blending it with gasoline will not improve the engine’s performance. Also, you must be very cautious when mixing the regular gas since when the ethanol percentages go high, it may damage your vehicle.
If you are planning to blend regular gas with E85, before jumping into the process, it is better to check whether it will be safe for your vehicle as some fuel-flex vehicles do not suggest mixing fuel. In contrast, there are some fuel-flex vehicles which run on any blend of gasoline.
Driving your vehicle with an unsuitable blend of gasoline may damage the engine, so it is recommended to use the best fuel designed for the vehicle. When you mix the E85 with regular gas, it is better to get the instructions from the manufacturers.
Mixing 50 percent of regular gas with 50 percent ethanol is better. For example, by mixing five gallons of 91 octane gas with another five gallons of E85, you will get 96-octane fuel, which is nearly E50, and it will cost less than 96 octane. You can use gasoline at any octane level for your flex-fuel vehicle as the system is flexible.
The Pros And Cons Of Using E85
Similar to other fuel, E85 also have several advantages and disadvantage. Knowing the pros and cons will be helpful if you’re planning to get a flex-fuel vehicle or already using one.
- E85 fuel that you use in flex-fuel vehicles is produced using corn. Some countries also make using alternative crops such as sugar cane.
- Although this fuel is not 100 percent eco-friendly, it will help to reduce emissions, which will improve the quality of air. Compared to gasoline fuel, E85 will decrease 50% more greenhouse gas emissions.
- In comparison to regular gas, purchasing E85 will be cheaper. In the US, it will cost $4.06 for a gallon of E85, which means you can save more than $1 by purchasing a gallon.
- When you use E85 in your vehicle, apart from powering the vehicle, this fuel will also help to clean the engine and other components.
- Although this is the best type of fuel that you can use in a flex-fuel vehicle, you must ensure whether it will be safe to use in other vehicles. In most cases, using E85 in another non-flex-fuel vehicle will not be suitable.
- When you use too much E85, some engine starts to knock, which is why many drivers blend E85 with regular gas. A 50/50 mixture of regular gas and E85 will be best for the engine’s performance.
- Suppose you are trying to use E85 instead of gasoline, then this will not be a good option since the energy is less in E85.
- You must make sure to use E85 in the appropriate proportion. If not, this may damage the engine of your vehicle. If your vehicle engine is not designed to use E85, it may also lead to corrosion.
We hope this article on can you mix E85 with regular gas will be helpful.
Continue Exploring: More Articles to Keep You Engaged